Header

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Novel Approach

I posted awhile back that Jellybean had shown an interest in potty training so we were letting him take the lead and try  it.

 

That didn’t last long with all the craziness of the holidays, traveling here and there, Joey working overtime, etc. Potty training is really about training the parent and not the kid and we just weren’t that dedicated to it.

 

I really, really want him to be potty trained by the time Jujube gets here though so I needed to get my ass in gear.

 

Unknowingly, Jellybean gave me the perfect opportunity. He finished his antibiotic on Friday and like it always seems to happen he started complaining of a boo boo on his bottom last night. We went to change him and sure enough it was bright red. The inevitable antibiotic induced yeast infection. Since it was bed time when it happened last night we just washed him off, slathered on the nystatin cream and put him to bed.

 

This morning when he started complaining I decided to take a different approach. Jellybean is a pretty smart kid. (I’m not just saying that as his mom. The sucker has already figured out how to plug and unplug the Christmas lights – despite us having the childproof outlets installed!) I decided to reason with him. I took his diaper of and explained that if he used the potty his boo boo wouldn’t hurt and that it would get better faster. He needed to pee pee and poopy in the potty. Then I left the diaper off and went about my business of getting ready for the day.

 

About two minutes later he comes running into the kitchen – “Momma – Peepee on potty, peepee on potty!”

 

So we went in the bathroom and he sat down and made a poopy! I praised him, wiped him, let him wipe himself and we flushed. Kept the diaper off still and told him to let me know if he needed to go again.

 

Another two minutes and I’m being dragged to the potty again. This time he lets out a drop or two. He just wanted to flush again I think.

 

Then about five minutes later he drags me out of the bedroom – half dressed. We go in the bathroom. He has me sit on the big potty which he usually uses and he sits on the little one. And he pee pees. A real one too and not the little tinkles he usually does. I was shocked. Then of course he had to wipe again. (He loves wiping, if I’m going potty he’ll try to wipe for me! J )

 

So, this yeast infection has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We talked about it some more on the way to day care. I reminded him that he needs to use the potty to keep his boo boo from hurting and he can tell his teachers if he needs to go. He repeated a lot of it back to me so I think he was actually listening and is going to try. Now its up to me to stay dedicated to it!

 

Potty training – Round 2!

 

LET’S GO!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...