Header

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Going Against the Status Quo

This post is linked up with Shell as part of Pour Your Heart Out Wednesdays.


Remember that everyone linking is pouring their hearts out and we should all be respectful in our comments.

For the past year or so I have been complacent. I embraced the status quo because I was too tired to do otherwise. Being pregnant and/or having a newborn will do that to you. So I just went along for the ride and didn’t stir the sea at all.

But I have been unfulfilled because of it. And quite frankly – unhappy.

So in the past few weeks, I started speaking up. Causing some waves.

And it has taken people by surprise.

I realized that I didn’t like the way I was being treated or talked to by certain people. It was disrespectful and rude. I had put up with it for long enough and I was putting my foot down. There is no way I am going to let my son grow up thinking that people should be treated that way. I want him to be a gentleman and respect everyone around him. There was no way that was going to happen if I let myself be a door mat. So – I stood up for myself. And I keep doing it every time someone gets out of line with me. It’s not like I’m putting my dukes up and causing a ruckus when it happens though. I can usually calmly say “I don’t like the way you’re talking to me and I won’t be treated that way.”

And I shouldn’t be okay with it. I deserve better than that.

Am I happy or fulfilled yet? Well, no – these things take time. I do however have a feeling of peace now. I know that I am finally thinking of myself. That I am not just letting things go because it easier that way. I am important and I deserve to make it known. I am not going to sacrifice myself because it makes someone else feel good. So while it may be “No More Mister Nice Guy” for awhile, in the end it will make for a much happier and nicer me.

I can live with that.

12 comments:

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Brave girl! I am soooo proud of you for speaking up. It is a great feeling, isn't it?
Stopping by from PYHO...

Unknown said...

You tell 'em, chicky! Kudos to you for standing up for yourself and not allowing anyone to put you down!

You're right about teaching Jellybean to be a gentleman. By showing him a woman who demands to be respected, he'll in turn treat the women in his life with the same respect. Good stuff, all around. :)

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

I am so proud of you. I know it is a hard thing to do. I am in the middle of figuring out how to do that for myself.
In the end it will make you happier.

Sara said...

I am proud of you Girl!! It's so important for your son to see this- you not taking any crap! And if you have a daughter next, then it will be even more important! Good for you!

Tylaine said...

That is awesome Di!! Good for you. What a great example for your precious son. And he is such a cutie. Keep those pictures comin'!!! He is lucky to have you as a mom. :)

Shell said...

You do deserve better! Speak up, girl!

Renegades said...

Good for you standing up for yourself. Someone has to it might as well be you!

Tara R. said...

Excellent! Good for you sticking up for yourself and setting such a good example for your son.

Unknown said...

I'm clapping and smiling for you! It feels so good to get to this point in life, when you won't take it anymore. You're not out starting trouble, simply respecting yourself and teaching jellybean to do the same. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am not one to "make waves" so I tend to be in situations like that a lot.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Good for you for standing up for yourself and doing so respectfully, even if they don't deserve your respect!

Unknown said...

Hell yeah! I am so glad you are sticking up for yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...